First up make sure you have the right tools for measuring for your custom made window blinds….
- A metal tape measure
- Pen & paper
Always write down the measurement: Width X Drop.
Take care not to mix these up.
Measurements should be provided in millimetres.
Measure all windows as there may be slight variations which will affect your custom made window blind from fitting perfectly.
How to measure for Face Mount roller blinds (fitting the blind outside the window frame)
These instructions are for window blinds mounted outside the window frame on the wall or trim, which cover the window moulding.
Select this option if the window is not deep enough to accommodate a recess mount.
- Measure the width from the outer edge of the architrave to the opposite edge
- Measure the drop from the top of the architrave to where you want the blind to finish
- Decide if the chain is to go on the left or right
If you do not have architraves (timber frame) around window
Measure the opening and add at least 100mm to allow the roller blind to go past the opening.
(100mm will give 35mm of blind each side past the opening)
Measure the opening and add at least 100mm to the drop to allow the roller blind to be mounted above the opening.
How to measure for a Recess Mount window blind (fitting the blind inside the window frame)
Blinds mounted inside the window frame for a neat, custom look.
Make sure you have enough depth to mount the window blind inside the frame.
60mm will be sufficient.
Less will result in the window blind protruding out of the recess.
- Measure the width from the inside of the window frame from left side to right side.
- Making sure to measure at the top of the inside of the window frame and not the bottom, as this is where the brackets will be mounted.
- Measure the drop from the top of the inside of the window frame to the bottom of the window.
- Decide if the chain is to go on the left or right.
All our roller blinds use fixtures which extend slightly beyond the actual width of the window blind. So, if your roller blind is to be fitted WITHIN THE WINDOW RECESS, the actual width of the fabric of your roller blind will be slightly narrower (approximately 35mm) than the width measurement you give us, in order to allow for fitting and smooth operating of your roller blind within the window recess.
You do not need to make any adjustments to the width or length of your custom blind measurements.
We will make all the necessary adjustments for you based on your measurements.